I am talking about weekly updates in my email that used to be simple, cute comparisons of my growing baby and a random, some never before heard of, vegetable.
Now I get biweekly emails with crazy headlines that I can't resist spending 2.5 seconds of my time skimming the article because they are so intriguing. I find myself thinking "do people really worry, think, spend time etc... on these issues.
For example, one of the first ones that caught my eye was the subject line "why newborns heads look so funny". Great, because we all know that they never change and there are cone headed chilren with squished faces walking around everywhere.
Then there was "why does Victoria Beckham look so awful" which was my favorite article that I skimmed because they actually asked her that question and her answer was a very annoyed short one that I will sum up as her saying "do you have 4 young children? I don't sleep and I don't stop chasing them" And I loved that the "horrible pictures" were all simply her with 1-4 children in tow simply not stopping to smile and pose for the cameras, because I am telling you that though her hair was in a pony tail she simply did not have an ounce of cellulite or belly flab to go with those 4 children of hers!
A few weeks ago it must have been a major concern of mothers-to-be everywhere what types of bedroom activities were ok when pregnant because there was entire article complete with no less than 10million readers comments on the fact that they indeed do these acts and their babies are all normal.
This weeks headline was fun. Evidently "Yelling is the new spanking" and the article was summed up with this statement
"...while spanking is considered taboo by the major medical and psychological associations, there are still some parents, religious and conservative groups who support it as an effective disciplinary tool, believing that the Bible explicitly allows it.But, he said, "There is no group of Americans that advocate yelling as a parenting style."
Wow, thank you for that. I don't think I would have come to that conclusion without your research or the 100,000 readers comments that go along with it!
Along with this there is a handy weight gain ticker on the website that out of curiosity I plugged in my numbers to be told that at .45% over my BMI I personally fall into the obese category and all their diet and nutrition recommendations as well as the weight gain recommendations were for that of an obese woman! Cool, that's healthy.
And last but not least there was a very helpful article on the top 5 worst foods you can eat. I was (ignorantly) expecting the typical, mercury laden fish and lunch meat horrors, but no. Among the top 5 worst things you can eat was.... Ice burg lettuce. Yes folks, evidently its lack of any nutrients other than water has caused poor unsuspecting ice burg lettuce to climb its way to the top of the 5 worst foods list on this certain shall remain unnamed rhymes with smabycenter.com website!

3 comments:
Oh Katie! I stopped those emails shortly after Inara was born because it is TOTALLY filled with junk, you are so right. The parenting "tips" are even worse! I really feel bad for the people who ONLY use this website as their main source of information about pregnancy/labor/parenting.
smabycenter
awesome, pat.
I can think of at least 74 other truly TERRIBLE things to eat other than iceberg lettuce...
Post a Comment