Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Sittin Here Talking To Jesus

I have issues when it comes to Annie getting out of the car. I used to think it was her that had the issues till I realized one day that maaaaybe I am expecting too much from her in the amount of time it takes to get out. Seriously. Stop car. take off belt. open door. step out. Its easy right? Annie seemed to pause and reflect the car ride and then hop down and look around and then show me a trick and then ask questions, and then gather her things, and then ever so slowly climb, touching every surface imaginable, out of the car.

A few weeks ago I decided to time her, knowing it would be something outrageous... it was 30 seconds... oops.

Yesterday she really was being disobedient and playing in the car when I asked her to get out. With my arms full I finally slammed the door shut, closed the garage door, went inside, took of my shoes, Mia's shoes, hung our jackets and put the diaper bag away and then went back out to let her out of the car. When she asked me what I was doing I explained to her that she was taking too long and being disobedient and that when I asked her to get out of the car I just needed her to obey... Quickly!
With a Yes Mam! and maybe a salute! (0k I didn't say those things)

Today while riding home she said "Mom, I have been talking to Jesus and today I am just going to get out of the car instead of laying on the floor"

Turns out when you put the time in to parent your children instead of survival of the day/fittest some seeds get planted with some happy side effects!

I told her that it made me very happy to hear that she was talking it over with Jesus and that it pleased him and I that he helped her want to obey.
To which she replied "ok I think Ill talk to him some more now" and goes on muttering in the backseat!

Of course 10 min later she is laughing her head off because she is "putting toots in her seat" so you see she is really just like your average 3 year old ;o)

2 comments:

Glimpses of Green said...

Oh my goodness- this is so my life. Why does it take them so long!?!? And by long, I'm sure you're right- an extra 30 seconds. Ha. :) Love this though. Her response was precious, and there's so much merit in us taking the extra 30 seconds to actually parent through what seems like such ridiculousness.

the mama said...

Yes, such a wonderful three year old!