Friday, March 23, 2012

Just Call Me Gumby

So after I was unable to walk this weekend I broke down and made the Physical Therapy appointment. I was only scheduled to work 4 hours Monday morning and after those 4 hours I was happy I made the appointment. Although as the week went on and I did not have any more near lame experiences I started thinking about canceling. My only thing was that if it got that bad again I wanted to know what to do about it. And I still had the intense pelvic pain just not the stabbing pain and the painful shooting down the leg thing.

I arrived 10 min early to my appointment and as I filled out the paperwork and tried to tune out Dr Phil I was literally near tears because I just simply didn't think that it would help and I was about to dish out hard earned $ for pregnancy aches and pains.

After meeting Sue the PT who specializes in pregnancy and her asking me all kinds of questions I felt like she really cared to fix my pain! She even threw in a little bit of God and scripture which made me fall in love with her. After evaluating my stance, hips, back, shoulders and a brief minute to gather ourselves after she called me a "loose woman" she explained that it turns out I am overly flexible with all the relaxin that my body is producing. She determined that because of my life long uneven-ness due to scoliosis and my Gumby like body, and my doing Yoga daily for the first time ever and third pregnancy in 4 years that I put a quadruple whammy on the ol' pelvis.

She explained that "God made my body just for this purpose and it is fearfully and wonderfully made"! So I loved her :o)

She showed me an exercise to get it back into alignment and told me to ice it (but not to let my husband give me any new nicknames by icing that area :o) and it should, typically take a few days to get back to alignment and then I asked her millions of questions on how to keep it from coming back out of alignment. Pretty much she just said to try to keep my knees even and take it slow for the next few days and then she would show me some strengthening exercises and typically women don't need to come back any more!
She also gave me the option of a support belt which because Lauren swears by hers I decided to try. She let me take it home for a week before she billed the insurance for it to see if I liked it!

So I left feeling like at least I had my questions answered and hopeful that these things would work.

1 comment:

the ashley family said...

Praise God - no seriously - I'm so glad you went and I hope you get relief!!