Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slow

There is something to be said for slowing down and then slowing down a little bit more :o) I personally prefer slow. I enjoy mapping out my week and then knowing that the majority of it will be spent at home. I love having just the right amount of stuff to do and enough time to get it done. I love staying at home (with my to do list made up) because I know that I have the freedom to sit on the floor and play with Annie or go to lunch with a friend and that its ok that I didn't get the laundry done because I will have time another day.


Now that I think about it, that is probably the freedom people talk about when they live on a budget. You have everything mapped out and know where all of your money needs to be and have freedom to make decisions about what you want to do with the rest. I have to ashamedly admit that we don't budget our money :o( I would like to, I have even sat down with 2 different responsible people twice and mapped out what it would look like, they were encouraged by our spending habits and they both put us on a one month challenge of looking at our expenses, which I did, and then when the month was up I didn't do anything about what I found out! We are not big spenders and we do put money into savings... I am just not to sure what the savings is for! There is no freedom in that! What if I decide to buy a small island, or a Ferrari... I don't know if I can because I am not sure what my savings is for, what if I need it for future medical expenses?! Oh the frustrations! Now I feel convicted to start budgeting again and that is not on my to do list!!! However the dryer just buzzed and I have been working on crossing THAT off on my to do list for 3 days now... what? Its my last load. How many of you can say that?

3 comments:

the mama said...

I'm telling you....freedom in budgets and envelopes.

Rachael Neal said...

i'm agreeing. we started the envelope system in january. we have no debt, so our only motivation was to find out what we were spending our money on. we're not big spenders and are also good savers, but we have found SO MUCH freedom is using cash vs. a debit card. you should try it...again.

Kentucky Kate said...

Ah, the advantages of having a charts and graphs husband. I'm with you. I don't naturally tend toward budgeting, so it's nice to rely on Eric for that.