Friday, May 6, 2011

Wits End

I am at it! Please, ANY advice is welcome here because I am not sure what to do.
Every morning Annie wakes up and says "I'm Houuuungry" "Mama I'm Houuuungry!". She used to eat breakfast very well. I always let her decide what to have for breakfast (as long as it is a breakfast food) because I only keep things in the house that she is allowed to eat and then I just have what she is having. We have done smoothies, yogurt parfait, oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, cereal, eggs, toast, all of that is served with her choice of fruit as I at least always have frozen berries or bananas.
Lately she has been choosing what she wants, always excited about helping me make it even if it just means pouring the cereal into her chosen bowl. However she has stopped eating it. She takes maybe one or two bites and says "I want dipent somsing" (which, by the way, I love that she asks for something different like that).
I understand that 2 year olds can go through times of eating only one thing, I also understand that they will eat 2 bites and be more interested in playing than eating, or eat 2 bites and be full. I don't have a problem with that. Its that she is still starving and simply wants something else to eat! I don't let her, I tell her that if she is hungry she has her food waiting for her at the table. I have been listening to her whine about wanting something else until lunch time! I have been sending her to her room unless she stops complaining. I have also been making her wait until Mia is done with her bottle to fix her breakfast so that she is more hungry (there I go starving my children again :o)
I am wondering if there is a simple breakfast that I haven't already thought of that you make for your children. maybe she is just bored with the same stuff. I know I get that way.
Now of course as I type this, a pancake has been sitting on the table for 2 hours while she tells me "I can't wike it!" however she just climbed up onto her chair and ate a few bites saying "mmm Mama dis good" AAARRRGGGHHH
Oh well, thanks for your sympathetic ear. Breakfast Ideas are still welcome ;o)

8 comments:

the Pie family said...

this is just a suggestion, so i am not sure it will work. but i am thinking about the parenting "funnel" that you may or may not have heard about in the parenting classes at Grace. i wonder if you letting her chose her breakfast is too much freedom for her? how about make a breakfast chart...all of the things you listed are great...but put them on a schedule. and then in the morning say, what are we having today? go to the chart and there it is. like i said, just a suggestion...maybe not a super one? :)

Kate said...

I never thought about her having too much freedom, maybe that is why she is thinking about other things because she knows all the options. We have never done any of the parenting classes at church, didn't think I would need them, haha jk! Something like that just might work!

Sylvain said...

What are you rules for lunch and dinner? Does she have the same problems there, or does she eat whatever you make? I like the chart idea and was going to suggest a schedule as well. On Monday we have pancakes, on Tuesday we have eggs, etc. along with a back-up breakfast, like cereal. If she doesn't like what's on the menu, she can always have cereal. Or something like that.

Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing. You totally don't have to listen to me (or anyone else, really), but I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, since I'm growing my own finicky eater as we speak.

Sylvain said...

Oops!! This is Rachael, I'm accidentally logged on as Sylvain. And this has never happened before, seriously. What a bunch of nerds!

Geeg said...

More of a deal for you than her. Letting her choose is great. 2yr olds don't get many choices, nor should they. Then tell her you are not Big Unca Joe going to fix a smorgasboard and she has to eat what she picked. And as you said, that is exactly what she did, once she realized you were not going to fix something else.You are a great Mama. Quit second guessing yourself. (maybe she needs a sausage link with the pancake. Joe Z's daughter!)

Kimberly said...

I'm having the same trouble. Great breakfast eater and then out of nowhere two bites and "all done." I'm a sympathetic ear, I guess.
But the something else mine wants is usually cookies or chips (which he doesn't get!). His favorite thing is "Mama? All done. Chips?" Great.

krissy said...

oooh. I like Cydney's suggestion. Don't be surprised if she gets tired of it too but it will give you something concrete to stick to.

the mama said...

2 year olds really don't do well with more than 2 choices...and often can't handle 2! Soon it will be clothing!
I love dippent! I repeat it practically every time she says it!