Friday, June 18, 2010

Playing Kanga to my Roo

If you are FB friends with me you may have seen a portion of this poem on my status. I love this little rhyme because when we were little my mom had a needlepoint of it hanging on her wall. All of us kids (well I guess maybe not the boy) know this verse by heart from reading it for many years.
I saw it on someone else's FB status this morning and I fell in love with it all over again. I did a google search of it and found that what I have memorized is only a portion of the poem and the rest of it is just as adorable as the end.

Babies Don’t Keep
By Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Lullabye, rockaby, lullabye loo.
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo,
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo,
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs;
Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

Although I function better when my house appears clean I don't have any problem with it being "dirty" for a while. If the toys are put away a few times a day and the counter is cleaned off then I dont need things to be swept and mopped or scrubbed with bleach. Therefore leaving some things undone I have been successfully working in snuggle time with my baby and it makes me very happy. Annie has been wanting to hold her longer also and plants adorable little kisses on her head as she does. I told her Mamas rule is that I get a kiss for every one she gives Mia. Yesterday mom was helping her hold Mia and she kissed her, she automatically stretched her neck out to kiss me and then turned and planted one on Grammy as well! I love my sweet little girl.

I have been loving the excuse to be inside during this extreme heat because if I was going to be outside I would want to be swimming. I LOVE swimming, I didn't think about what it would mean to have a baby in the summer time. I cant WAIT until I can go swimming again. I only got one opportunity to go about a week before I delivered. A decent enough alternative is to take my little girl outside to play in her kiddie pool while I sit with my feet in.
So this morning I set Mia in her swing in front of the Kitchen french doors and we played just outside on the deck for about 45 min. I could watch my baby girl swing in the sunshine and air conditioning and at the same time sit in the sun and play in the cool water with my big girl. As I sat watching them I hoped that I would always take the time during my day to enjoy them at the stage that they are in and soak in their sweetness because I never want to forget this time in our lives.
I also am excited about all of the activity in my flower beds! These Butterfly bushes are blooming nicely and the bush is no less than 8 feet tall! Joe and I have big plans on trimming it back a little I just have to figure out what time of year I should go about doing that.

I just love the Victorian lace look of these Hydrangeas on my Hydrangea vine! Jealous? You should be its AMAZING!

5 comments:

The Talberts said...

Such a sweet post, Katie. And I know I've already told you this, but you definitely started my day out right by sharing that poem on fb. It really helped me to be conscious of what is important. I do not regret the sweet times with my babies.
Thanks for sharing. ;)

krissy said...

you're right! the rest of that is just as precious. one of us needs to get on the needlepoint ball and stitch this for us all.

the mama said...

Ahhhh...I love this.
Possibly I'll learn needlepoint - anyone buying that?

Pocket said...

I LUUUUV that poem!!!

joehendrix said...

Swimming here soon I hope.