How would you feel about a male labor and delivery nurse?
I'll give you time to think about it
Time is up! Did that take you more than .5 seconds to answer?
I have heard rumor that there was a hiring of a male nurse on our floor. I don't have a problem with male nurses because they generally work in an area that is fitting. The OR = a pt under anesthesia, blood, guts etc... ER = trauma, blood, guts, craziness etc...
Here are my thoughts about a male L&D nurse that kept me from sleeping last night, Ill give you a typical scenario and then you insert a male in the position instead of me.
-Pt comes into hospital room contracting and as her husband brings in her things she starts a contraction and throws both arms around my neck and lays her head on my shoulder as I help her breathe through the contraction.
-I gently tuck her into bed making sure she is nice and snuggy (you know as your mom would)
-Pt wants to be checked before getting her epidural Dr checks her and its very painful for her, I hold her hand and stroke her hair talking to her in a low voice about her children at home or the name of the baby to be, trying to distract her and help her relax. (Problem: Male MD's must have the nurse present when he checks his patients, will we ladies be expected to be in the room every time this mans patients are checked by male doctors?)
-Pt gets epidural and sitting on the side of the bed she holds both my hands and lays her head on my shoulder which is the most comfortable way to get an epi.
-Its time to push and first time mom would benefit from massage to help her not tear, are this male nurses patients just screwed? Sorry but there was no female in the room while you were pushing to allow your RN to touch you down there!
-Mom has delivered, she wants help breastfeeding... no problem we are all trained in this area, I will help you. Here is how you hold your baby, here is how you hold your breast, and now we are practically forehead to forehead while I watch to see if baby is latching or sucking properly, no problem right?!?
-Mom is ready to get cleaned up and go to postpartum floor. I help her put on pad and panties, to the bathroom, assist her in cleaning up and stay with her if she feels lightheaded from being up for the first time. No woman likes this part but all see it as a necessity and both apologize and thank you a million times.
I mean honestly! Can you see a male even wanting to do any of those things let alone one who possesses the nurturing characteristics for him to enjoy the process! This will be interesting to say the least. Someone said that our managers opinion is "why not try it?". What are we going to do if it doesn't work out? You can't fire someone for being male!

11 comments:
My sister Leah had a male nurse when she had Alayna. As if it wasn't bad enough that she was 19 and alone (as far as partners go)...he came in to check her pad and she almost fell off the bed! She was mortified. But what choice did she have? She rejoiced when his shift was over and he didn't come back.
The same male nurse was present after I had Elli, but he didn't get assigned to my room. I have a sneaking suspicion Matt told him to stay away from my room. Ick!
That was one thing I forgot. You as a pt have the right to refuse ANY nurse! But people dont know that.
Okay so first my nurses never helped me as much as you help your Pt's. My first nurse was the best and stayed an hour late on her shift while I got my epi becuase both Dave and I were both upset.
Onto the male nurse. NO way would I like this. It was bad enough when I had a D&C and then when I had my boys there was a creepo male always around. I have no idea who he was or what he did but he got the name creepo from me. Dave even yelled at him to get out of my room once while I was freaking out. Dave said he never came back. THANK GOD he was not around when I had Levi or I think I would have asked the docs to have him leave. It is bad enough having a bunch of strangers watching you down there but a male nurse? That is just wrong.
Hmm..This is a tough one, I always feel for guys in female dominated fields (like social work, nursing, etc.) because I know people often rather have a female sw'er, nurse, etc. while some of my guy social work friends are great but do get kind of left behind b/c they are in a female dominated field
But with that being said, I really dont understand why any guy would have an interest in L&D--like you said, OR or ER--I totally get it and wouldnt care to have a male nurse but being someone who has always chosen female OB/GYN's I have to say I dont like strange men being...down there....now that I have a male perinatologist I have to adjust to that idea--but lets be real, Im gunna have a c-section anyways so who really cares haha
Hmmm. I don't know. I think I'll play devil's advocate and say ... I don't see a lot of difference between a male nurse and a male ob. I'm with Gina, though - none of my nurses were quite as nurturing and maternal as you describe (by the way - can you make it to St. Luke sometime in March so I can lay my head on your shoulder for my epi and have you stroke my hair? That would be nice).
I have never felt uneasy with male ob's checking pads or dilation or any of it. It has always seemed very business-only and because I have never expected them to nurture or comfort me in any way, I have not been let down (or weirded out).
I don't know. I guess I'd have to just wait until the situation arose and take it from there.
Interesting, though.
We will read this post and elaborate on the first Thursday in February! I am dying laughing just thinking of the fun!!!
I guess the only part I would have a problem with is the "after delivery" part. It's always nice and embarrassing to have to go to the bathroom with a nurse with you and to need so much assistance. When I'm in labor, I really don't care who is there, as long as they are helping me and I have male OBs. But afterward, I'd really prefer a female nurse.
I work on Med-Surg and we have 1 male nurse on our floor. He has difficulty with patients sometimes not letting him do things b/c he is male. I would think a male in OB would have an even harder time. I personally wouldn't care, my OBs are male. I feel weird having a female OB. I guess it is all preference.
Thats a thinker!
I personally would have been okay with some aspect of the male nurse. And I bet you will be surprised with which I would have been okay with. I think that AFTER the delivery I would be more okay than before with a male nurse. I agree that the after is very business - y. I hated even having ladies looking down there and helping me out. So I think if it was a guy it wouldn't be so bad.. I don't know that Alex would like the idea of a dude coming and checking on my lady parts too often though.
I feel like when I am in labor, I would want a woman. No man could do what the fabulous Sue or my mom did for me.. Sorry Alex. The words and the comfort women show is so helpful when you are in labor.
Yeah, I can definitely see the problems there...my OB was a male and I was comfortable with him, but since he was really just there at the very end (and the point where I didn't care who in the world saw whatever!) it was ok...I think it might be different when that person is involved in your care.
I'm with Kentucky Kate- it's the after the delivery part that I would be awful!!!
Yes, I would enjoy having you as my nurse. My first baby the nurses were really nice like you described, but after that it just seemed like , "Oh, I guess she knows what to do.." and didn't get quite so nurtured.
Post a Comment