Once when I was13 while traveling in California with the Gautraud & Francis families as well as other friends we stopped at a restaurant. Waffles sounded good to everyone so it was waffles all around. However the waitress failed to mention to us that they only had one traditional waffle iron and she proceded to bring our waffles out one at a time for all 18 of us! It took hours for each of us to eat our lone waffle :o)
When I was 20 I decided that for my birthday dinner at moms I wanted waffles. So as to not repeat the waffle disaster of '98 we rounded up 5 waffle irons! We plugged them in and as our five star waffle recipe sat in the waffle irons not doing anything we realized something was wrong... we blew a fuse! We had to then plug the waffle irons in various plugs around the house. Even with the irons in every room but the bathroom we still kept blowing fuses and it took FOREVER once again to make a brunch of waffles! I swore off waffles at this time. I don't think I have had a waffle in the past 5 years.
Last week Kelly and I decided to make "brinner" (you know, breakfast for dinner) and I decided to dust off the waffle iron that I obtained as a wedding gift and tread into the dangerous world of waffles. Just one batch... just 4 waffles... just a bisquick mix... It WORKED! They were great! Kelly added cream cheese to hers and I threw raspberries on mine with pleanty of cheap-imitation butter flavored-far from real-syrup! Love it! And Annie loved it too!
Moral of the story, when dealing with waffles, keep the expectations low, stick with one iron and low quantity expectations.

7 comments:
ha. Very funny. I got Ben a waffle iron for .. something. His last birthday, I think. I love it. But yeah .. we've already decided that once our children don't actually prefer lukewarm food, it really won't be very practical.
Here's my tip for the day. You can pop them in the toaster just like the frozen ones at the store and they are just as good as when they are fresh. Or you can throw them in a warm oven (on a cookie sheet) while you make the rest and then everyone can eat together. Can you tell my kids love waffles?
Occasionally I would make waffles for grama Nellie, when the pressure of making the best pancakes ever, week after week, got to me. Everyone always liked them, but I haven't made any since Nellie has been gone.
mmm I love waffles!!! We keep blueberries in the freezer and throw a cupful in the batter when we are making them :)
Alright Kate I totally posted... and then I come to check out your blog and noticed we weren't on your "buddy blog" list anymore. I mean I know it's been like a year, but seriously;) Hope to hear from you soon! :) Melissa
Lol...nice comments... number 5 was the best. However, I don't see that Annie has another baby around yet either;)
O and I cannot believe you have never been to Gatlinburg?!? Seriously I thought that was what everyone did around here:) I hope you guys have fun though... that's a brave thing going by yourselves:) I'm sure Annie will forgive you...especially if she is staying with someone that is going to spoil her a rediculous amount;)~Melissa
Hey Kate, don't you think Uncle Joe should show us his waffle making powers next visit? If it's anything like the parfaits....yum!
Post a Comment