Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why am I doing this?

Annie "helping" me with the new shower curtain liner

It has been about a month since I have been letting Annie "cry it out" at night. I started because I was out of town for 2 days and she was up every 3 hours in the night. So at every experienced mothers and my pediatricians advice I decided to stop feeding her during the night. She will get the idea after about 3 nights they claimed! Her normal routine was only getting up once between 3 & 5 and she wouldn't really wake up enough to be awake for long so I would feed her for 10 min and she was right back in her bed asleep for the rest of the night! No problem, I would rather be up for 10 min in the middle of the night to feed her than up at 6am for the day when she is back to sleep again by 7:30!
So for the first week she woke up around 3:30, cry for 10 min I would go in put her pacifier in and she would fall asleep! Then she started sleeping longer, until 5:30 by then it has been 8 hours and I am proud of her for sleeping through the night but I didn't really want to start my day at 5:30. So it was back to having her cry it out. She has sleped through the night a few times here and there but nothing has been consistant. I can't figure out what to do. And it seems that she has gotten worse! She is awake longer in the night crying! Now I am up for 2 hours instead of 10 min feeding her. Why????????? I am ready to forget it and go back to feeding her when she wakes up. A good friend of mine who has big kids says "do you want to be up at 3 am making PB&J for a 2 year old?" Not really! I would love for her to sleep through the night, but she isn't!
Everything seems like it could be a factor and it makes me second guess myself, she goes to bed later, earlier, she is sick, she took a long nap the list goes on... I try to be consistant but it is hard.

I feel like I am doing something wrong and 2 in the morning is not the time to be figuring it out! Can't I hire a woman who has already done this before to come and be my sanity in the middle of the night? Jayne... Susan.... MOM??? No takers huh?

6 comments:

The Talberts said...

For us, I have found that there is a huge difference between nursing a baby in the middle of the night and making pb&j's for a two year old in the middle of the night. Libby did not "sleep through the night" until she was weaned at 18 months. She nursed once or twice a night, but was the same as Annie - back to sleep right after nursing. She is two and a half now and sleeps just fine. No pb&j requests.

Kentucky Kate said...

I don't have any magic words, but I'm not a big fan of crying it out - mostly because I haven't found it to work for us. It does work wonderfully for some babies, but I've found that mine generally start to sleep through the night on their own at some point. It's usually in the first year as opposed to the 6 weeks that the babywise people have, but I don't really mind. I think there are a lot of people in our church that do that system though, so if you really want to stick with it I would imagine lots of them have some good tips - or you could call Kent and Lisa.

Anonymous said...

We are going through this too...I finally started getting up when he cried but just giving him a little warm water with a touch of formula for taste and it worked...he realized he wasn't getting fed and so he gave up getting up! anyway, you are probably nursing so that may not be great advince for you. but the whole cry it out thing just didn't work for us...don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it!(even tara smanks!)

krissy said...

Sorry it didn't work Tate, their all different. Just do what you're the most comfortable with so you don't feel guilty and exhausted at the same time. :-)

the mama said...

Oh just give her anything she wants!

Susan Holt Simpson said...

Oh, Girly! I wouldn't trade places back to that for anything! Well...maybe for a few things...but NO!
I thought nighttime sleep training was among the most difficult tasks of parenting babies - mostly because it occurs at 2 am, just like you said! We did the crying thing, too, but used the heartbeat hymns as a crutch. We followed the instructions to the letter, and it worked for us. Tell you what, though, it's better to train them when they're smaller, like Annie, than to try to do it when they are older. But I agree that you have to be flexible - if they're sick, or you busted the routine, then you have to roll with it. Ugh! No pat answers, except for The Mamma's!