Saturday, September 29, 2012

Wake up!

As a mother you never know what is going to be your wake up call in the morning. Around here we seem to go through seasons. For a while it was Annie coming into our room a little too early pulling her pillow and blanket behind her and she would simply lie down on the floor next to our bed for a while. I liked that one. That practice was a quiet slow transition from sleep to the busy day. Then she became impatient and would stand next to my bed and say "Im Hoooouuuunnnggrrryyy" and whine. That got old very fast and I explained to her that it was rude to come in and start the day by complaining. So instead she would come in and stand with her body pressed against the side of our bed which puts her nose level with me and just stand there until my eyes opened and I jumped out of my skin!

Then I had Carly and my hubby graduated school and was no longer leaving the house every morning and Annie was so excited that he was there that she started going to his side of the bed! Since Mama was recovering from surgery and up during the night with Carly he was getting up with them for a few weeks and letting me sleep in and get up and shower and dress and everything before coming downstairs for the day. I will NEVER in all my life forget the feeling of getting to do that. That was a very pampered kind of feeling.

Then Joe started something I don't think would have ever occured to me to do, when Annie came into our room he simply said. Good morning, now go play and let us sleep... and she did!!! What!??! She knows she is allowed to get fruit out of the fridge so she would help herself to an apple for breakfast and so I started leaving her a cup of milk in there too. It was brilliant! We were sleeping or even just leisurly waking up and it was nice!

Until Mia started waking up a little earlier and figured out how to get out of bed so she was no longer content to quietly play in her crib in the morning. Now she is the one at our bedside in the morning and you never know what she will do... or has done :o) She usually comes in stealthly and picks up my glasses off the bedside table and then Jabs me in the face with them saying "come ONNN Mama!" or "I watch Tarzaaan" sometimes jamming the DVD into my hands. Or all of the sudden shes doing a belly flop onto your back which is fun. This morning she was standing in my room stark naked asking for milk like there was nothing amiss. Crazy woman!

From now on Joe will be getting up and leaving the house hopefully before they are awake and I will go back to the more normal routine of getting up with him and being up before they get up which isn't as good as sleeping in, but its a different kind of good. Its the good of enjoying a quiet morning alone before there are demanding little people all around you asking you things like "when will we do school?" "When can we go to Big Uncle Joe's House?" "When will we sleep at vacation again?" "When will PorterBeth be here (x6!)" "if they will be here after nap then when are we going to sleep?" "Can I have a cookie?" "When can we look at pictures of me when I was a baby?" "Can we go for a walk?" "Where are we going today?" and I have only been up for 48minutes :o)

 

1 comment:

Pocket said...

HAHAHA!!! Too funny. Thanks for sharing. Lately Sylvia's been sleeping until past 7:00, sometimes even past 8:00, and usually we hear her playing, singing, and talking to her stuffed animals in her crib. That is soooo nice, but I know it won't last!