I saw a little girl last week who had what I considered to be the ultimate haircut when I was about 9 years old. It was SHORT, I can remember talking my Aunt GG into cutting my hair super short that summer so I could shake it out in the pool like the boys and although my dad didn't remember my hair ever being so short I have a picture somewhere to prove it and I LOVED it!
On another somewhat related note when my sisters and I were little I have happy memories of older gentlemen out in public calling us "Boys". Our school bus driver/farmer-neighbor called to us out his window every morning "howdy boys!" as we came running down the front walk. Friends of my Grampas at the corner stop would call me "son" or "sonny" and it always got the toothless grin & laughter they were going for and made me feel special, like I belonged in the corner stop that smelled like motor oil, with all the old men in their overalls, suspenders and Pioneer hats drinking coffee with the weather radar in the background, surrounded by tiny bins of nuts and bolts :o) Sometimes I can remember when feeling particularly boyish (in my jeans and plaid shirt with SUPER short hair) that maybe they really thought I was a boy. When I got my ears pierced I always thought to myself "don't they see the pretty heart earrings in my ears?" :o) I guess you could say I was the perfect amount of tomboy, no dresses, jeans please, short hair & sparkly pink earrings because I am not a boy and I don't want to be a boy, I'm just not "girly" because they are lame :o)
All these thoughts and memories came back to me this morning as I paid over $200 for a plumber and his elderly assistant to snake my sewage line while they called my girls "boy" and it made me smile.
Forget-Me-Not Thoughts
1 month ago

3 comments:
21 really sweet. :)
uh. word verification and comment combined? what?! just meant to say "really sweet".
love it
Post a Comment