Friday, September 28, 2012

Say What?

There have been many statements made by my children that cause Joe and I to look at eachother and shrug our shoulders and ask them to repeat themselves. Between lisps and made up words and words that only a parent can understand (sometimes) its just difficult to follow them quite often. We coined the phrase "thats not english" once Mia started talking because she truly has her own language. And I have convinced myself that some day she will tell me what "sha bah dah bah die" or "sha bah die" means. Because I will die one crazy person if I never figure it out, she STILL says it and she can talk pretty stinkin well for a 2 year old!

So while riding in the car this week we were not surprised to hear Annie in the back seat singing a song that made absolutly NO Sense! I laughed and commented that she was just like her father singing all the wrong words to a song. Well it turns out she was singing all the correct words after she had me laughing so hard at her I got home and immediatly googled the words with a hope that maybe part of them were right and wouldn't you know she was spot on!
The song?

"Brown girl in the ring"
Tra la la la la
She Looks like a sugar in a plum PLUM, PLUM!" (which mia likes to scream)

Now, much to my chagrin my children have been watching "The Wiggles" at Joe's moms house when she keeps them on mondays. And I have 1 rule about Grams house. When I am not there she is allowed to feed them anything and let them watch anything (except sponge bob cause I hate it!) because she is a reasonable christian lady who has standards and knows mine and Joe's and she watches 5 chilren under 4 for 8-12 hours on monday. If watching The Wiggles gets her through the day with sanity then I say go for it!
So it is the weird creepy grown men mock turtleneck wearing childrens song singing group The Wiggles that have taught my children this traditional song originated in the West Indies that I kind of find about as offensive as Ring Around The Rosie. I wondered if it was ok for a couple of white girls to be singing about a brown girl but... whatever Ill call it cultural and check off social studies as accomplished for the day.
 :o)

 

No comments: