Friday, May 4, 2012

Walnut Tree Sprouts & Breakfast

I have this little planter box that had one lone daffodil in it last year. I leave it on the table between my rocking chairs just to remind me that I could plant some gorgeous flowers in it someday if I really wanted to.
It has been played in and dug in and mostly it just sports some grass and weeds.
Yesterday I pulled this rather tall tree sprout out just because and with it came the entire walnut that it was growing from! Annie immediately exclaimed with wonder over an 8 inch tree growing from a giant 2 inch nut! I was so excited I was able to show her the walnut and the tree and how it grew and everything! I laid it aside with intentions to grab my camera and take some really cool science lesson pictures.


However the idea was quickly forgotten and this morning during breakfast I was watching this little guy run around on the back deck only to hear Annie yell "Mom, that squirrel is eating your tree!"

Oops, oh well, now all that is left is the root ball and tree twig :o( Happy breakfast little grey squirrel, we had Trader Joe's multi grain waffles with bananas (and sprinkles of course :o) It was a first time purchase/using of the Multi grain mix and I am a HUGE fan, I highly recommend it!