Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Making a House a Home

Well if you have ever been to my house you would know that we have 3 stories and were using the 3rd story (finished attic) as a family room. It looked much like any finished basement would look, you know where everything is centered around the big screen, the mini fridge from the college days etc... only difference is that the walls are all at an angle under the eaves of the house.
Anyway about a year after we moved in we made our first big purchase for the house which was a sectional couch for "man world" as many call it. The very first couch we looked at ended up being the one we purchased weeks and weeks later :o) I love the thing, it was an excellent buy which I also love, the thing is huge and we actually had to take the door frame apart to get it through the attic door! OOPS! Anyway, the only problem was, we rarely went upstairs to use this fine piece of furniture. The only time we watch tv is in the.... da da dum... bedroom! I know, I know and I don't want to hear about the TV in the BR.
I clearly remember blogging about my wonderful bed a few months after Annie was born. How much I loved it and how much time I was regrettably spending in it. Well that time has faded folks! I am so tired of sitting in bed when I want to watch the news or simply turn something on when I am feeding Annie Girl. I am tired of having my sister come over after work at 5:00 t0 find me in bed! I feel lazy! Annie is often sleeping at 5 and I have dinner cooking or ready and I am exhausted and want a nap, however I don't want to nap in bed, for some reason a nap on the couch seems less lazy to me than a nap in bed and I have never been one to like taking naps in my bed.
Part 2 of this story is that my little sister is going to move in with us! I am very excited and for some reason I think Joe is looking forward to it as well. We decided that since we rarely use the attic as it is, Kelly would move in up there. It will be her own little space and she wont be subject to being the neighbor to a crying baby at 3 am.
So its out with the old and on with the new! We (by we I mean Joe and Andrew) carried the sectional couch and TV down 2 flights of very narrow stairs, to what used to be the formal living room, which we also did not use. We had 2 donated couches, 2 donated end tables and lamps, a donated chest cabinet, a donated oriental rug and my papasan from before I was married. Surprisingly enough all of these things matched very well and with the help of just a few accessories the room was actually one of my favorites in the house. However I am very excited to finally have a family room and a place other than our bed to hang out in! I gave myself a budget and have picked out a few new things for the room of which I am VERY excited about! So next week when the area rug is ready and in place I will post a picture and list for you all of the wonderful deals I have found! I am just upset because my blogging mind wasnt working before we started this and I don't have a before shot of the living room:o(

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Yay! I love makeovers!

The Talberts said...

How fun. I can't wait to see photos.

Also ... does this mean your parents are officially empty nesters?

joehendrix said...

Post pictures so I can see how it looks, just be sure Annie is in each one. She must miss me something terrible by now. Come see me sometime!

Rachael Neal said...

ooooo how fun! and kelly is moving in? huh? i want to hear more about this.