Thursday, June 19, 2008

Help!! I have to register!

So last week my husband, home at a decent hour, was finishing the dinner that I was home to prepare for him (apply gasp here)!!!! I had done no less than 9 loads of laundry, cleaned the whole house which included vacuuming (second gasp placed here would not offend me) went to the grocery store AND paulas for produce, came home and made dinner of Chicken and Dumplins and raspberry crisp (no gasping cooking is what I was put on earth to do) I was soooooo exhausted and my back and feet were killing me because with the exception of the grocery store, I had not worn shoes all day long and I believe that is a mistake now that I am 16 lbs heavier and have a (attractive although they say natural) pregnancy curve to my spine . Back to the issue at hand the man asked me if I wanted to go to Babies R Us and REGISTER!!! I could have kissed him (but I didn't feel like moving). Here is the problem... we wandered around Babies R US (I have never been in that place before) with our mouths hung open saying "how on EARTH do you decide" & "do babies REALLY need all of this stuff". I had no idea you had to register for things like onesies, I thought people know I am having a baby, they will just purchase onesies for me... evidently this was incorrect thinking. So here is my plight (i think that is the right word), what is the #1 thing you are SO GLAD you had in the first 6 months of new baby? What can you not live without, what do you wish you had now and didn't register for? What is that one really annoying baby item that was so bad you had to break down and get a different one because it just simply was impractical? HELP!! I am desperate, registering is the chance of a lifetime and I am blowing it!!

3 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

I have a few favorites, but the best think I did was to go register and send the link to my closest mommy friends and ask them for recommendations. Then I changed a bunch of stuff before shower invites went out. If you do that with a couple of people, you will be able to pare it down better. You absolutely do not need to register for any clothes. People will give you tons of those without registering for them. You will probably even have to take some back because you will have so many.

Here are my "must haves." A bumbo or bebe pod. There is a stage when they can't sit up on their own, but get very angry to be on their backs. It's wonderful. Evie is using hers several hours a day to play in. She even sits at the dinner table with us in it. I didn't have it for Elise and the difference is amazing.

Gerber Bunch-a-Bowls with lids. They come in a 4-pack and are positively leak proof. I got some for Elise and I still use them daily for both girls.

Two strollers - a good traditional one for excersize. Walking is too hard with an umbrella. Also a umbrella one to keep in the car for quick errands.

The Talberts said...

what is the #1 thing you are SO GLAD you had in the first 6 months of new baby? The ability to shave my legs unassisted. Um .. and on a serious note - I really like vibrating bouncy seats. I feel like most baby things are unnecessary, but it helped to have a seat (that is semi-upright, when the babe likes to look around) I could put up on a counter or kitchen table (even though you're not supposed to do that) while I fixed a meal or took a shower or whatever.

What can you not live without, what do you wish you had now and didn't register for? Well .. we decided to use cloth diapers when I was pregnant for Libby. Dishing out the money to buy cloth for both of our children at once was pricey. I wish I had chosen cloth from the beginning and registered for it. Also .. they didn't have those bumbo seats when I had Jacob, but I have heard (from Katie and others) that they are wonderful.
AND AND AND ... A good quality breast pump. I blew through a single electric pump in the first month after Jacob was born. Then we spent $250 and I got a Medela. Which is amazing.

What is that one really annoying baby item that was so bad you had to break down and get a different one because it just simply was impractical? We rarely used our "travel system". I know not a lot of people feel like this, so don't take my advice too seriously. But it was much easier for me to take my baby out of the car seat (unless I was just dashing in someplace quickly) and throw him/her in a sling. We could've gotten a car seat that couldn't be used as a carrier, but would've lasted longer (the infant travel system seat/carriers usually only last the first year). I am just not a big fan of carrying a baby around in a car seat all the time. I always found that I ended up carrying the car seat and the baby. And there never seems to be a shortage of people who want to hold your little one. :)

Katie's idea of emailing your registry list to a few mom friends is a great one and I wish I'd done that!
It would also be helpful to take another mom friend with you to register, but then you only get one person's advice.

Have fun! And like Katie said ... do not buy baby clothes!

running shoes said...

what is the #1 thing you are SO GLAD you had in the first 6 months of new baby? pack n' play. those babies take so many naps, it's nice to have a contained (safe) space to put them to sleep, so you don't go up and down a zillion stairs a day.

What can you not live without, what do you wish you had now and didn't register for? I'm with Melissa on this one- I bought a single electric breast pump and it stunk, so I will be purchasing a better quality one for future babies.

What is that one really annoying baby item that was so bad you had to break down and get a different one because it just simply was impractical? a baby monitor. the thing was SO annoying hearing every gurgle and swallow that allowed for LESS sleep. we could hear travis perfectly without it, but it would depend on the construction and layout of your house.