Anyhow I started feeling so good paying attention to what I was putting in my body and I started getting curious and reading blogs from women who focus on healthy eating, especially healthy baking. I wanted to know the story behind High Fructose Corn Syrup and other such foods that carry stigmas so I was googling like crazy!
With all of this research I found myself at Trader Joes yesterday! I have heard about it from so many of you and I was really curious what it was all about. I wanted to price compare and wander the isles and read lables so I left Annie with her Gram so that it was a possibility. I have to say my curiosity was fed and it left me wanting more... litterally! Its such a tiny store and there are limited options on so many things I felt like I was missing something! How could a store that is known for healthy whole foods not have Rapadura? It was one of the few things on my list to research! I took a list so that I didn't buy everything that sparked my curiosity and end up spending a million dollars on things I "just want to try". Price kept me from buying too much (hello dairy dept!) but I did come home with a bag of dried plantains that I thought Annie would like and a box of cereal bars that I know she will like and they were a steal! I also got peanut butter that was a good price however I thought I could probably get the same thing at Kroger, and sugar but I am not sure I got the right thing! I also felt that Kroger had a better whole wheat flour selection so tell me if I am missing something there. I now know where to get some things if I want them in the future (like whole flax seed, Kroger only carries ground).
I was sad that everything was sold in such small packages, I wanted to see big bins of bulk flax seed and whole oats :o)
I want to start baking from scratch more with good whole ingredients until my entire pantry looks like this.

9 comments:
I would check out Whole Foods in Rookwood and see how their selection compares--its a little closer and I know they carry some of that "weird healthy stuff" haha I am interested in trying quinoa in place of rice after talking w/ my brother and sister about this apparent "super food" I am curious as to how Donnie will accept the change
I think TJ has about the best prices on health foods that you will find in the area, but you do have to be selective about what you buy there. Last time I went, I bought almond meal ($4 vs $8 at Kroger), sunflower seeds, etc to make (http://www.elanaspantry.com/breakfast-bars/) these bars. They are SO good. I keep them on hand so I have a healthy convenience food on hand. I made some substitutions based on what I had (who has grapeseed oil?). I've had the same great feeling when I do the gluten free thing because it forces me to eat more veggies and less muffins, breads, etc.
I've never been to Trader Joe's, but I've heard good things about it. Apparently you can get wine there for $2!!
I do love Whole Foods but I have to be picky. I find that some of the things I get there I can find cheaper at Kroger if I look hard enough. I also love Fresh Market, but they are super pricey, so I only go there for the fanciest of things (good cheese and bread, exotic candies, etc.)
Whole foods has a better selection of baking ingredients in their bulk and baking aisle. I was at WF and Trader Joe's today and I did not see rapadura, I've been looking for it too. Between these stores and Kroger marketplace, I have a price book and buy depending on the best deal. Trader Joe's does have some great low prices on stuff, it just depends on what you buy.
I work by trader joes so if you need anything, just let me know :)
Does your recipe specifically call for Rapadura?
There are lots of misnomers about Sucanat, Rapadura, cane sugar, turbinado, etc...
Rapadura and Sucanat are most often very course and require food processing.
Some other brands just add molasses, so you don't really get what you think you're paying for.
Let me know if you want more info.
ha! that picture of Annie is so funny!!
I love Trader Joe's and Whole Foods but for different reasons. As others have mentioned Trader Joe's is great for particular items but I find their meat and dairy to be way high. However the quality is way higher than Kroger.( Some grass fed, wild etc.) Whole Foods has great bulk stuff and you can by grass fed ground beef by the pound. I also discovered Snowville creamery milk there that is from grassfed cows and it is SOOOOO good. Unfortunately now I have to drive to Rookwood to get my milk. :( I will be blogging more about some of the same things as soon as I can get the pictures loaded. GRRRR
Have you ever been here:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/'
You know I'm not into the whole Health scene, but it IS an amazing store! FYI - they have a brownie there that is all GOOD STUFF, and the BEST I've ever had.
Sometimes I just LONG after that brownie...!
The word verification for this comment is -
fullygo
A word for you, maybe?! Who knows!
Post a Comment