Sunday, August 31, 2008

Homeschooling

Melissa's blog got me thinking. When I was younger and I would tell people about Homeschooling everyone would think you were cool because you could do your school with a party hat on in your underpants, or on a Saturday just so that you could do something really cool on Monday. Plus I loved to tell them that if you got all of your subjects done by noon you were done for the day! But when I talk about it now, my friends (coworkers) look at me like I am crazy and question my upbringing. Coming across as cool just doesn't happen anymore and it is really frustrating. Especially because Joe and I have talked about NOT homeschooling for various reasons and that is always their next question "so will you home school your kids?" which leads to more explaining! Oh to be a kid again and tease the checkout lady at Wal-mart when they would ask why we weren't in school in the middle of the afternoon we would sweetly answer "field trip" with a nice hick accent thrown in for good measure!
I hate to generalize but when you home school EVERYONE questions your social abilities. When I was homeschooling people would say it straight to my face "how do you socialize with other kids?" or "what about sports?" I wanted to say to the lady on the Ski Lift at Perfect North "You are the only person here that I don't know!!" There are about 250 other home schooled kids here and you don't see us wandering around stuck to our mothers who, by the way, are not all wearing jean jumpers.
I must add that no matter what I say to someone to try to convince them that Homeschooling is not a form of child abuse, they always end the conversation with "wow I never would have guessed that you were home schooled, you are so normal". HELLO!!!

I would like to ask that my sentence structure in this post not reflect my homeschooling. I did go to 2 years of formal High School and 4 years of college and I still never managed to write a proper sentence. :o)

3 comments:

The Talberts said...

hahahahaha. jean jumper.

Ben and I were both homeschooled (Ben for 12 years and myself for high school). We have always gotten the same questions.
I have my response formulated already for folks who question how I plan on handling the social end of my children's education. Something along the lines of how I'd rather they be socially stunted rather than their whole social life be confined to what they encounter in school.
For the record, I'm not against people sending their kids to school. Just sayin' .. I can relate to your post. :)

Kentucky Kate said...

I love homeschoolers, but you all were the exception when I was a kid, not the norm.

I even remember the first time I had the thought about you and the Gautrauds when you started attending Immanuel that I couldn't believe that all homeschoolers weren't social freaks.

Homeschooling is getting (I think) a little more socially acceptable. I will even actually consider it. I probably won't end up doing it, but I actually consider it a legitimate option now.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the wonderful blessing of spending so much time with the mama!