Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cyber Friends and Coconut Oil

I have a virtual friend. She is an older sister of a high school acquaintance that I didn't realize existed until I saw her at a wedding many years ago. Which is OK because I was the "ghost sister" at one time in my life as well. My sisters friends literally didn't know I existed! They would always hear "wait, you have another sister, where did she come from?" Kara and Kris were close in age and Donnie was the boy and Kelly was the baby so you see that left no one else... right? Anyway back to the reason we are here...

About 2 years ago I started reading her blog, she was funny and interesting and she had chickens with a coop that would make anyone jealous! I even showed pictures of it with its applique chandelier to my grandpa, the farmer, and he just laughed at me and said something about having chickens once and being a lot of work! My grandpa is more of the crops type than the animal type.
I had heard her loved ones tell wonderful stories about her living abroad and owning a dog worth millions (I believe Dave may have exaggerated, it wasn't really millions, but more than any mutt I had ever heard of!)

We met at a pool party that summer and I worked up the courage to tell her that I blog stalked her and she was So Proud! It was great fun chatting with her about blogs and chickens and things and since then I believe I have seen her in person about 4 times and those were in passing at church.

But buddy I am a fan. She is so creative! And fun! And because of this technological day we live in I can call her a friend. And I am old enough to think that is kind of weird and funny. Why I remember back in the day when I would restart my computer 3 times just to have a conversation over IM ;o)

And this friend, along with others, have gotten me to try Coconut Oil. I have heard its great moisturizer, I have heard its good for your health, but when she blogs about it for some reason I run out and buy it along with some vit e and whip it up and slather my ever growing body in it along with rubbing it on my children's slightly eczema ridden skin! It has not gotten rid of the eczema as I had hoped, but it does just as good of a job at moisturizing and I know the only 2 ingredients I am rubbing on my children which I like!

I love cooking with it, I like the taste it gives when I fry in it and there is nothing better when you mix it with a little chocolate!!!

Last week when I was searching for a sweet recipe for small group and I needed a chocolate glaze for my peanut butter bars (which are just the lazy mans way of making buckeyes) and so I got a couple spoons of coconut oil and cocoa and started mixing with some powdered sugar and milk and after feeling like a mad scientist with all the stages of runny, clumpy, oily, watery, it came out to a very tasty, very shiny (i love that part) chocolate glaze that firmed up very nicely!!!

My Friend is Erin, and she is giving away a jar of the high quality, hoity toity real deal coconut oil on her blog and I have the wanties!!

http://www.abirdandabean.com/2012/04/more-coconut-oil-benefits-and-giveaway.html

No comments: